It’s National Shortbread Day today, so we’re celebrating by sharing a recipe for a delicious coffee shortbread that we’ve made with our vanilla flavour-infused coffee for a little extra something. Crumbly, buttery and sweet with a subtle hint of coffee, this is a dream alongside a cup of coffee for an afternoon treat.
The trick to getting the coffee flavour into the shortbread is using a spoonful or two of strong instant coffee and some whole granules, too. You don’t want to add too much moisture to the mix else the recipe won’t work.
Coffee shortbread recipe
Makes: 15-20 fingers
Time: 1 hour (including chill time)
- 150g plain flour
- 50g caster sugar
- 100g unsalted butter, chilled
- 1-2 tbsp Little’s vanilla flavour-infused instant coffee
- Put the flour and sugar into a mixing bowl
- Cut the butter into small cubes and add it to the bowl
- Dissolve most of the coffee granules with a splash of hot water. Give it a stir and add it to the bowl
- Use your hands to combine the ingredients until it looks like breadcrumbs. Add the remaining coffee granules to the mixture – they’ll add an extra crunch and decoration
- Squeeze the mixture in your hands until it comes together as a dough
- On a lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll out the dough to about ½ cm thick
- Cut the dough into fingers and place on a lined baking tray. Then use a fork to create a pattern and sprinkle with some caster sugar
- Chill the dough in the fridge for 20 minutes and meanwhile preheat the oven to 140ºc
- Once chilled, bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes before devouring!
Tip: for extra wow factor, make a coffee chocolate glaze for dunking or drizzling.
Share your makes with us on Instagram and Facebook: @wearelittles